Family life for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) can have extra challenges. I have a particular interest in supporting families who are struggling with issues relating to a person’s sexuality.
You may want to talk about:
- Finding out that your son, daughter or partner is LGBT
- Coming to terms with the sexuality of a LGBT parent or sibling
- Adopting or conceiving a child within a same-sex partnership
- Difficulties arising with co-parents or donors
- Contact and access arrangements for LGBT parents who have separated
My stance in working with families on LGBT issues is “gay affirmative”. This means that I do not see being LGBT as an illness that should be changed or challenged, but as an integral part of a person that should be respected. I am also aware that many people struggle if their families do not conform to the norms of society. I aim to hold these different perspectives in mind while working on these issues.